The word “casserole” comes with some, well, not so hot connotations. But this ultra-modern, keto-friendly Butternut Squash Casserole will change any casserole-hater’s mind. This dish is packed with nutrients– from the fiber and vitamin B in the cauliflower, to the antioxidants in the cinnamon, and the protein in the pecans –you’ll feel full and satisfied after indulging in this tasty dish.
- 4 cups butternut squash (peeled, cubed)
- 1 medium head cauliflower (chopped into florets)
- 2 Tbsp butter (measured solid, divided into 2 parts, and then melted; can use avocado oil or ghee for dairy-free)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 tsp sugar alternative (such as stevia)
- 2 cups pecans (divided into 1 1/2 cups and 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup sugar alternative (such as stevia)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp butter (measured solid and then melted; can use avocado oil or ghee for dairy-free)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Line two baking sheets with foil (greased lightly) or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cubed butternut squash, cauliflower florets, a tablespoon of melted butter, garlic salt, cinnamon, and black pepper.
- Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on the lined baking sheets. Roast in the oven for about 30-35 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through, until both are very soft and golden. (If your pans don't fit in the oven side by side, you can try a single larger pan or roast them in batches, but either way make sure veggies are in a single layer.)
- When the vegetables are done roasting, remove them from the oven, but don't turn it off.
- Puree the veggies in a food processor or high-power blender, until smooth. (You may need to do this in batches if they don't all fit at once). Transfer the puree into a 2 quart (1.9 L) ceramic or glass casserole dish.
- Stir the sweetener and remaining tablespoon of melted butter into the puree. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if desired.
- Smooth the top with a spoon or spatula. Sprinkle the pecan crumble topping over the casserole.
- Roast the casserole in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the top is golden.