Energy and focus often go hand-in-hand. If you’re tired, it can be hard to focus and if you’re having difficulty focusing, it can be draining. What’s the answer? Research demonstrates that the unique combination of L-theanine and caffeine can help support both energy and focus.
Best Thing for Energy and Focus
Over the years researchers have looked at the health-supporting effects of the combination of L-theanine, an important amino acid found in green tea, and caffeine. But this isn’t like the caffeine you get from drinking a lot of coffee or one of the many energy drinks on the market. This caffeine, when combined with L-theanine, provides energy without the jitters and crashes that can come with other sources of caffeine like coffee or energy drinks.
In 2010 a study compared the combination of L-theanine and caffeine to a placebo (fake pill) and found that the participants who took the combination had better self-reported alertness and energy. In 2015 a double-blind placebo-controlled study found that people who took both L-theanine and caffeine had better focus and that the L-theanine helped reduce the jittery effects that can come from caffeine alone. It’s important to note that L-theanine on its own has been studied extensively with research showing that it can help support focus, mood, and sleep so it’s no wonder it can also help tamp down the negative effects of caffeine.
Research continued with this important combination in 2020 with a randomized clinical trial that used neuroimaging to look at attention span in young boys, which found that L-theanine and caffeine reduced mind wandering and supported improved attention span and overall brain function. A 2021 review of a variety of studies involving the combination of L-theanine and caffeine also came to the same conclusion that this combination can support both focus and brain function.
Help with Focus and Energy
It’s true that energy drinks and coffee can help but the jitters and inevitable crash can make matters much worse. Instead, opt for the health-supporting combination of all-natural L-theanine and caffeine. It’s that simple. Just two clean ingredients to help fuel your focus and spark your energy all day long.
Look for a dietary supplement that provides a 2:1 ratio featuring 200 mg of L-theanine and 100 mg of natural caffeine from the Coffee arabica extract. L-theanine and caffeine are a combination you can count on. Ready to try it yourself? Try Zhou Energy + Focus, which provides 200 mg of L-theanine to support jitter-free energy.*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any diseases.
1. Giesbrecht T, Rycroft JA, Rowson MJ, De Bruin EA. The combination of L-theanine and caffeine improves cognitive performance and increases subjective alertness. Nutritional Neuroscience. 2010;13. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1179/147683010X12611460764840
2. Dodd FL, Kennedy DO, Riby LM, Haskell-Ramsay CF. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating the effects of caffeine and L-theanine both alone and in combination on cerebral blood flow, cognition and mood. Psychopharmacology. 2015;232:2563-2576. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00213-015-3895-0
3. Baba Y, Inagaki S, Nakagawa S, Kaneko T, Kobayashi M, Takihara T. Effects of l-Theanine on Cognitive Function in Middle-Aged and Older Subjects: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Study. J Med Food. 2021;24(4):333-341. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8080935/?report=reader
4. Kahathuduwa CN, Wakefield S, West BD, et al. Effects of L-theanine-caffeine combination on sustained attention and inhibitory control among children with ADHD: a proof-of-concept neuroimaging RCT. Scientific Reports. 2020;10. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-70037-7
5. Anas Sohail A, Ortiz F, Varghese T, et al. The Cognitive-Enhancing Outcomes of Caffeine and L-theanine: A Systematic Review. Cureus. 2021;13(12):e20828. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8794723/?report=reader