When you’re on-the-go, self-care can take a back seat to the rest of your busy life. We get it. It’s tough to make room for good habits and healthy rituals when you’re insanely short on time. But remember, every minute you spend being good to yourself is an investment in your health and wellbeing.
In keeping with the theme of our current Free 1-Year Supply of Daily Boost Giveaway that rewards you with a free bottle for every 7 friends you refer to our sweepstakes, we’ve put together this quick list of 7 simple things you can do for yourself in 7 minutes or less to make you feel amazing! Take a look below! But first, be sure that you're entered to win our Daily Boost Giveaway:
- Get Breathing
Meet the 4-7-8 breathing cycle. You can do this one in 2 minutes or less, so try it 2-3 times throughout the day for best results. Start by placing the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth directly behind your front teeth and pressing lightly. (Btw, this is a yoga position known as Jivha Bandha.) Your tongue should remain there for the duration.
Close your eyes and take a deep breath through your nose to the count of 4. Hold your breath to the count of 7, then release it somewhat forcefully through your mouth to the count of 8, making a slight whooshing sound as you exhale.
Do this 4 times, and 4 times only. You can repeat this breathing exercise several times throughout the day, but only in cycles of 4. Calming and centering to both body and mind, this 4-7-8 breathing cycle can soothe anxiety, help digestion and promote a healthy sleep cycle.
- Stay Hydrated
This is a big one for your energy levels, and to keep all systems in your body in good working order. Start out each morning by drinking a full glass of water when you first roll out of bed. Remember, your body’s been at rest for (hopefully) 8 hours or so. That sluggish morning feeling could very well be dehydration, not fatigue. Eight ounces of water will replenish your water balance, aid digestion and give a gentle boost to your day. Plus you can do it in 40 seconds or less!
- Step Outside & Catch Some Rays
Studies have shown spending time in nature promotes a positive outlook, increases creativity and helps improve your mental health. If you’re able to do some of your work outdoors, park your laptop under a tree and enjoy the fresh air. It’s the best kind of multi-tasking and takes no extra time from your busy day.
Then find a sunny spot for a few minutes each day and double your benefit! Did you know just 15 minutes of sun exposure can provide all the vitamin D you’ll need for the day? Vitamin D, the “sunshine vitamin,” is synthesized by the body when your skin is exposed to the sun’s UBV rays – and you already know this important vitamin helps your body absorb calcium, supports immune system function and helps improve your mood.
If working outdoors is not an option for you, make it a point to spend a few minutes in the sun during your breaks or lunch hour. Got a phone call to make? Step out with your cell and do a walk-and-talk in the sun. You’ll absorb some UVB rays, increase your circulation and heart rate and get in some extra steps to help keep you in shape. Two 7-minute phone calls and you’re almost there!
Can’t step outside for a few days? Bad weather keeping you out of the sun? We’ve got you covered! Zhou D-3 + K-2 contains Vitamin K-2 to maximize the benefits of the D and help your body utilize much-needed calcium.
- Your Morning & Anytime Stretch
Morning is the perfect time to get in some gentle stretching. But you can take a break and do this any time of the day when you’ve been at your computer too long or are just feeling stiff from too much sitting around. Daily stretching improves flexibility, relieves tension and provides a quick burst of energy. Here are some simple moves you can do in 5 to 7 minutes to help you get started:
- Lower Back Stretch. Lay on your back, either in bed or on the floor. Inhale, then as you exhale, gently draw your right knee to your chest as far as comfortable, holding the knee with both hands to a count of 20. Go back to the original position, then follow the same steps with the left knee. Then bring both knees to your chest at the same time, hold them for 20-30 seconds and release.
- Full Body Stretch. Lie flat, with shoulder blades touching the floor or mattress at all times. Extend your arms above your head and point your toes, then stretch your entire body completely from toes to fingertips. Take several deep breaths and hold the stretch as long as you can without straining. Release, then repeat 2 more times.
- Core Stretch. Stand with feet slightly apart. Place your right foot a few inches forward, then with feet firmly planted, twist your torso to the left as you exhale, gently stretching. Hold this position for 15 seconds. Repeat on the other side with your left foot slightly forward while twisting your body to the right.
- Pelvic Stretch. Lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Breathe in and raise your pelvis off the floor as far as it is comfortable. Hold for a few seconds, then slowly lower your hips down to the floor while breathing out. Repeat 2 or 3 times as needed.
- Leg Stretch. Lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor or mattress. Bend your right knee and draw the knee gently to your chest. Then slowly straighten the leg up, gently stretching it towards the ceiling. Point and flex your foot 3 times, then move the foot in a circular motion, doing 3 ankle circles in each direction. Lower the leg and repeat with your left leg.
- Fast-Track Relaxation
Soaking in a warm tub is one of the best ways to make yourself feel great. We highly recommend it when you have a good hour to spare. But we said these healthy rituals would take 7 minutes or less, and it probably takes 7 minutes just to fill your tub!
Here’s a fast way to enjoy some of the benefits of a nice, long soak when you’re pressed for time. All you need is a sink, some hot running water and a couple of minutes to yourself.
Run the water as warm as you can comfortably handle it (no scalding, please!) Once the water is at a good temperature, place your hands under the stream and let the water run over them for 1-2 minutes.
The warm rush of water on your hands activates your parasympathetic nervous system, the part of the brain that slows your heart rate, reduces energy production and relaxes muscles in your digestive tract. This is a quick fix you can do anywhere, any time you feel on edge or stressed (like right before that big presentation at work, or when you’re on your way to a job interview). Try it any time of the day or night to help you feel relaxed and centered.
- Feel Grateful
This is one of our favorite rituals that can be done as you drift off to sleep, or first thing in the morning to start your day with a positive attitude. Simply make a mental list of 7 things that bring you joy and make you feel grateful. It can be something that happened earlier in the day, an old memory from childhood, or anything in between. Things you’re grateful for might include a special person in your life, a favorite pet, some hard-won praise from your boss, or even a big slice of your favorite chocolate cake!
Make this a daily practice, and try to come up with a couple of new things each day. Replaying those good feelings in your mind brings on a rush of endorphins that can make your day brighter and help you feel thankful for the greatness that’s all around you.
- Get Your Daily Boost
This is the best way to start your day, and may be the best thing you do for yourself. Plus the good news is, it’s as simple as swallowing a capsule, so you can do it in less than 15 seconds!
Zhou Nutrition Daily Boost is a vegan, once-a-day multivitamin and probiotic combo formulated for full body support to help you be great! This awesome formula begins with our immune support complex, which provides your daily value of zinc, vitamin C and vitamin D3 to help keep your defenses up all day. A full range of B vitamins – the clean energy vitamins – will get you going and keep you ready for anything, while minerals and trace minerals help support a long list of bodily processes so you can feel your best.
Finally, our one-of-a-kind, high-potency multi comes with 750 million CFUs of Bacillus coagulans, a super probiotic intended to aid digestion and regularity while helping to support immune function and gut health. So go on, start your day right with Daily Boost and grab a bottle today!
Now go be great… we know you can!